Construction Law/Delay in Signing Contract Agreement

Question
Dear Mr. Arshad,

Contract Type: Measure and Pay
General Conditions of Contract:FIDIC MDB June 2010

As per clause 1.6 in FIDIC MDB June 2010, the Parties shall enter into a Contract Agreement within 28 days after the Contractor receives the Letter of Acceptance.

This has not been amended in the Particular Conditions.

The Contractor has received the Letter of Acceptance 90 days back and he has handed over the Performance Bond too in time.

But so far the Contract Agreement has not been signed.

Please provide me clarifications for the following.

1.0 Is the Contractor entitled for any claim in this regard?
2.0 What is the clause applicable?
3.0 What are losses can be claimed?
4.0 When the Contractor shall serve Notice in this regard?
5.0 Since the Contractor is willing to get this Contract even at a
   later date, is it alright to serve the said Notice after signing
   the Agreement?

I am grateful if you would provide full details.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Jayan,

In your question,you have not mentioned the reasons for delay in signing of Contract. Anyhow, here is the answer/clarifications of the points raised in your question:

1. Yes,the Contractor may title for the prolongation time.
2. Sub Clause 20.1 and Sub-Clause 1.6.
3. The losses actually incurred.
4. Notice can be served right now,even on expiry of 28 days time-frame specified in Sub-Clause 1.6 of the  
  Contract.
5. You may wait for signing  of the Contract,but I would suggest that there is no harm to serve notice
  right now.But wait for signing of the Contract for submission of the Claim.

Regards

Engr. Arshad Mahmood  

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood