Construction Law/FIDIC_Contractor`s request for machinery substitution_Country: Montenegro

Question
Dear Mr. Elliott,

I`m acting as Engineer within a YELLOW FIDIC Contract; the scope of Works is the construction of a Waste Water Treatment Plant.
Lately the Contractor has required to substitute some machineries declared in their Offer; after examining the technical features of the new ones proposed and comparing them with the ones from the Offer, we came to the conclusion that consent for substitution can be done, since the minimum standards contained in the Employer Requirements are met.
Nevertheless, the Employer seems to be reluctant to accept our decision, as they would like to keep the machineries from the Offer.

My question is: could you please indicate some FIDIC clauses we can rely on to substantiate our decision?

Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards,

Enrico Odorisio

Answer
Dear Enrico Odorisio,

It all depends on the instructions in the Tender Dossier and the Contract Documents.  I guess that you have to check whether or not the Contractor is allowed to substitute alternatives.  I would also find out why the Contractor wishes to substitute some machineries and why the Employer is hesitant.  Sometimes a supplier has gone out of business or stopped production of the unit in the offer.  Some times an Employer wishes to maintain specific machinery for compatibility with existing equipment for ease of maintenance and spares.  Of course, the Contractor may have found a cheaper supplier, which could have higher whole life costs, which could be from a country that the Employer does not trust.  I suggest that the substituted machinery should be of a similar quality and ease of maintenance as that included in the offer, or better, not just meet the minimum requirements of the Employer's Requirement.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott