Construction Law/New BOQ during the progress

Question
Dear Ms. Alina,

we are having the contract under Fidic red book. 2 projects are combined and made one agreement with separate BOQ. One project modified (Project 1) fully and the other project (Project 2) is in progress with some changes in structure and finishes.

For Project 2 - At this stage the Contractor submitted a new BOQ with new quantities with the same BOQ price in addition of than 30% more of the contract sum. Our Engineers did not agree the new BOQ and instructed the Contractors to submit the VOs for the new items.
My Question,
1. Does the Contractor have the right to introduce the new BOQ during the intermediate period of the progress?
2. Time implication?

Suggest us as we are the Client's QS. The Client is also suggesting the Engineer's statement.

Thanks and regards,
Joseph A George

Answer
Let me see if I understood well:
So, there were 2 projects, each with its BoQ and now you have 1 contract incorporating the 2 projects, but within the contract each of the projects is modified. The contract is FIDIC Red Book. Now, the Contractor submitted a new BoQ for project 2, with new quantities and higher prices.
Being a modification comparing with what was initially in the project 2, normally it should be one or more Variations (therefore, one or more Variation Orders) for what is modified, and from these variations it will result the new BoQ.
The Contractor has the right to propose new items or new prices according to the Clause 13 [Variations] and 12.3 [Evaluation], therefore it will be a new BoQ - so, yes, he has the right to introduce a new BoQ, but only as a proposal and the new BoQ will be part of a variation.
In case the modifications will generate delays in the finalization of the Works and these delays are not caused by the Contractor itself, then the Contractor will be entitled to extension of the Time of Completion according to the Sub-clause 8.4.
Hope my answer is of help.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea