Construction Law/1999 FIDIC

Question
Dear Sir

According to the 1999 FIDIC, could you explain the differences of similar wordings:

(a) Right

(b) Obligation

(c) Duty

(d) Responsibility

(e) Liability

Br

Sudantha

Answer
Dear Sudantha,

Thank you for this question. I will try to keep the answers as short and simple as possible. There are, however, cross-overs between some of the definitions, as you have perceived already.

RIGHT: An entitlement to something, whether to concepts like justice and due process, or to ownership of property or some interest in property, real or personal.

OBLIGATION: A legal duty to pay or do something.

DUTY: A legal obligation, the breach of which can result in liability.

RESPONSIBILITY: The obligation to answer for an act done, and to repair any injury it may have caused.

LIABILITY: A legal responsibility for one's acts or omissions

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line; or visit www.cerno.org

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse