Construction Law/Missing Items in the BOQ

Question
I am a quantity surveyor, i prepared a BOQ for my client. during construction, we realized some items were missing in the BOQ  and yet the contractor went ahead and did the works as per drawings and specifications.
The contractor valued his works and submitted his claim. The client demands to know why these items were missed. To me i was incompetent but i would want more technical reasons to back this ugly situation.
Why would some items miss out in the BOQ yet they appear on drawings and specifications.
Thanks

Answer
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your question and frankly, I appreciate your sincerity. Indeed, you weren't the brightest light in the Christmas tree, but that happens to all of us, once in a while.

Frankly, not sure what kind of technical reasons I can give you, but the way out for your Employer and probably for you too is:

Contractor is bound to execute the Works as described in the Contract documents, that including Specifications and Drawings.

If certain items are shown/ described in these documents, but not shown in the BoQs, their cost is deemed to be included in the rates/ prices of adjacent items that are included in the BoQ.

If no Tenderer has asked for any clarification prior to tenders submission, that including the current the Contractor, the Contractor is liable to bear all costs for executing the Works, in line with Sub-Clause 4.11 [Sufficiency of the Accepted Contract Amount].

Trust that will help, now on you how to sell this to the Employer.  

Construction Law

Florin NICULESCU