Construction Law/BOQ items in lump sum contracts

I am working on a lumpsum contract in Saudi Arabia responsible for EPC of various substation. Contract is standard form as per govt tendering procedure and not governed by FIDIC. In BOQ some of the operational spares which have been priced are not required as per supplier recommendation.

You are requested to please clarify if we can claim the amount even if spares are not supplied?

I understand that since it is lumpsum contract and unless supplemented by VO, we are entitled to claim whole of the contract price and if such items would have completely missing from the BOQ and supplier would have recommended then we were suppose to supply the same even in the absence of any unit rates mentioned.

Dear Muhammad,

Good morning.
Thank you for your question apology for responding late.

Please be advised that, under lump sum contract, if an item has been mentioned as being part of the contract whether mentioned in the BOQ or specification or the drawings, it is an obligation of the Contractor to execute or deliver such item. Supplier's recommendation is not a valid ground to override the contract provision except such recommendation has been considered and granted by the Engineer. If this happens that the Engineer considers this recommendation and issues instruction accordingly, then, such instruction constitutes a variation. Then,in such case, the contractor cannot claim for what has been omitted under the contract because the variation becomes a negative variation to the contract lump sum.

I hope this clears your doubt?

Construction Law

Femi Alofe

I can answer all questions relating to the followings: 1. Contract Administration - variations, contract clauses interpretation, all post contract procedures, valuations and certificates questions, extension of time issues and prolongation cost matters. 2. Contract Practice - Any questions regarding forms of contract like JCT, FIDIC & other Bespoke forms. 3. Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems. 5. All FIDIC Conditions of contracts

Out of my 24 years experience in construction industry, i have the following specific experience: 1. Contract Administration - 15 years in contract administration with over 10yrs in Managerial positions covering africa and the middleeast. 2. Contract Practice - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions covering africa, north america and the middleeast. 3. All pre-contract procedures, Tendering, Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions - 20 years experience. 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions and 5 years expert witness and active practice in arbitration proceedings covering africa and the middleeast.

1. FAIQS - Fellow, Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, Australia 2. FRICS - Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, UK 3. CCP - Certified Cost Professional AACEI, USA 4. PQS - CIQS, CANADA 5. ACIArb. - CIArb, UK 6. MNIQS - NIQS, NIGERIA 7. RQS - QSRBN, NIGERIA

1. AACEI RP on Estimating, 2010

1. B.Tech (QS) 2. RICS professional course, CEM - UK 3. MSc , UK NARIC 4. Professional Doctorate ( to commence 2016)

1. Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Dubai UAE 2. Larsen & Toubro (oman) LLC 3. Archi + Web consortium, Abuja Nigeria 4. George Dike & Associates, Minna Nigeria 5. Public works Authority (Ashghal), Doha Qatar