Construction Law/Loss/Expense: Invoices + 15%

Question
Dear Peter,

We are the Main Con.

The Contract cites “ …… loss/expense ……… provide invoices …… +15% for admin, overheads and profit…...”

We, for Corporate Policy reasons, will not provide Invoices to substantiate our Claim(s).

Our Claim is submitted on basis of Quotation (cheapest of 3) + 35% (note: not 15%).

The 35% represents our actual overheads at 28% (for this Project) and profit at 7% (Corporate level). Let’s assume that said uplifts are verifiable.

The Employer’s position is “we pay Quotation with no uplift or Invoice +15%. Your decision”

Who is correct?

Answer
Dear martincymru,

As the Employer states 'your decision'.  

The Contracts states the basis for reimbursement, but you want to change it unilaterally.  On what contractual basis?  I suggest that you would find it very difficult to justify 35% overheads, especially if you had to do it on the basis of audited accounts.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott