Construction Law/Provisional Sum

Question
Dear Sir

According to the FIDIC 1999 Red Book, SCL 13.5 (b), the Contractor shall insert his percentage for adjustment of PS in Appendix to Tender.

However in the BOQ also has a provision to insert his attendance fee and OH&P, based on PS amount.

Therefore during the post contract stage, what method the PQS has to pay to the Contractor, either in accordance with Appendix to Tender or BOQ.

Sudantha

Payoe

Answer
Dear Sudantha,

I do not understand the need for your question.  Has the Contractor entered two conflicting figures? Has the Contractor omitted to enter figures somewhere?  The FIDIC clause is very clear.  

Clause 13.5 b states
'(ii) a sum for overhead charges and profit, calculated as a percentage of these actual amounts by applying the relevant percentage rate (if any) stated in the appropriate Schedule. If there is no such rate, the percentage rate stated in the Appendix to Tender shall be applied.'

In this instance I would suggest that the BoQ is the 'appropriate Schedule' and thus you should pay in accordance with the BoQ.  Unless of course, there is no rate in the BoQ, in which case, you should pay the rate in the Appendix to Tender.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott