Construction Law/Engineers approval of method statement and material submital sheet

Dear Mr. Elliott
I am working as a Engineer on a express road project. Contract is a MDB pink fidic.
Contractor submit to us method statements for all types of work with out request for them and he is very persistent and ask our approval. Should Engineer give approval, consent or MS are for information only. The same is for materials that he intends to use on the project.

Dear Gjorgji,

Clause 8.3 states 'Unless the Engineer, within 21 days after receiving a programme, gives notice to the Contractor stating the extent to which it does not comply with the Contract, the Contractor shall proceed in accordance with the programme, subject to his other obligations under the Contract.'  

Although this clause refers to the programme, the principle holds for all submissions, unless there is something in the Particular Conditions of Contract or the Specification.  Some contracts require the Contractor to submit materials for approval.  I hate to use the word 'approval' because it can dilute responsibility.  I use the phrase 'No objection subject to the following ......' or 'The submission appears to comply with the requirements of the Contract. This comment does not absolve the Contractor of his obligations and duties.'  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering