Construction Law/Variation

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir

1999 FIDIC Red Book

According to the SCL 13.1(e), any additional work instructed by the engineer shall be necessary for the Permanent Works.

If the instructed additional work is not necessary for the Permanent Works, then whether the contractor can object to execute or alternatively request for the different rates from the current BOQ.

For example, initial scope of work is only construct a building and then the engineer instructed do the swimming pool as a variation.

Could give your comment in line with SCL 13.1(e) .

Br

Sudantha

ANSWER: Dear Sudantha,

Sorry, but clause 13.1(e) is in the possible class, not in the mandatory class.  The list is not intended to be inclusive, so the Engineer could instruct a swimming pool as part of a residential building.  Any variation in the rates is covered by clause 12.3.  

QUESTION: Dear Sir

In your answer you have mentioned a "possible/mandatory class"; could you explain what is mean by "possible/mandatory class" and what are the SCLs include to the same?

Br

Sudantha

Answer
Dear Sudantha,

You write 'shall be necessary'.  Clause 13.1 states 'Each Variation may include ..... any additional work, Plant, Materials or services necessary for the Permanent Works'.  'Shall' is mandatory and must be obeyed, while 'may' could be followed and thus is a possibility.  Clause 13.1 gives a list of reasons for a variation, but the list is not exhaustive.  Thus the list is a list of possible reasons for a variation but there can be other reasons, beyond those given in the list.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott