Construction Law/Delays Caused By Authority

Dear Sir,
According to FIDIC Red Book 1999, Sub Clause 8.5,  if some delay occurs due to delays caused by authority, the Contractor gets  EOT without any cost and profit, is it right explanation of Sub Clause 8.5? If so,can you clarify about the cost and profit mentioned in the same Sub Clause 8.5.
for eg. Contractor imports some equipment from other country and he can not  import the same in time because of unable to provide the substantiation in the custom department and he pays demurrage cost for the same. Now I want to be clear on: Shall the Employer pay for the demurrage cost which the contractor has paid to the Custom Department?
Best Regards,

Dear Binod,

Thank you for this question.

Reference to sub-clause 8.5 of the standard FIDIC Red Book 1999 shows that any delay or disruption by an Authority which was unforeseeable and where the contractor had diligently followed the necessary procedures will be grounds for an extension of time under sub-clause 8.4(b). Those two clauses of themselves do not speak of whether the extension of time is with or without cost and profit. Unless expressly excluded elsewhere in the contract, the contractor will be compensation for either 'Cost' or 'cost'; the former excludes profit but the latter can include profit.

In the situation you have outlined the delay caused the contractor to incur demurrage costs. If those (indirect) costs can be considered as being consequential upon the delay (which will be assessed by the legal standards of the relevant jurisdiction) the contractor will be entitled to compensation. Under English law the principle adopted in assessing whether consequential costs are compensable is how remote those costs are from the event.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line; or visit

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister