Construction Law/Explaination about Delays Caused by Authority

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir,
According to FIDIC Red Book 1999, Sub Clause 8.5, if some delay
occurs due to delays caused by authority, the Contractor gets EOT
without any cost and profit, is this explanation right? If so,can you clarify about the cost and profit mentioned in the same Sub Clause 8.5.
for eg. To execute the works in the Site, there is a provision of importing equipments and tools from  other country.The Contractor was unable to import tools and equipments  in time eventhough he was trying his best for the substantiation of documents in the custom department and got  delay due to some other's reasons and paid demurrage cost for the same.
Now I want to be clear on: Should the Employer pay for the demurrage cost which the contractor has paid to the Custom Department? Does it include overhead and profit or not?

Best Regards,
Binod

ANSWER: Dear Binod,

Clause 8.5 states 'If the following conditions apply, namely:
(a) the Contractor has diligently followed the procedures laid down by the relevant legally constituted public authorities in the Country,..'.  I think that you will have difficulty in proving that you followed the procedures.  Clause 8 provides for EoT, but not for Cost or Profit.  You have to find another clause which provides for the reimbursement of Cost and Profit.  

On the basis of information provided, I do not think that the Employer should reimburse the cost of demurrage.  

QUESTION: Dear Sir,
I think  the Contractor can prove that he has diligently followed the procedures laid down by the ........ If so, how is it possible to reimburse the demurrage cost from the Employer? Could you advise me under which clause the Contractor can claim the reimbursement of that demurrage Cost.
Best Regards,
Binod

Answer
Dear Binod,

You submit your claim under clause 20.1.  You have to prove the following:

1. you investigated the requirement for documentation and the time required by the customs officers to clear goods;
2. you allowed an appropriate time in the programme for this activity;
3. you provided all the documentation on time;
4. the activity took longer than expected due to delays by the customs authorities; and
5. the delays affected an activity on the critical path

then you can claim for an extension of time.  Without an agreed EoT, you have no basis for reimbursement of any extra costs.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott