Construction Law/Repayment of Overpaid Foreign Currency

Question
Dear Sir,

Thank You very much for taking your time in responding to my inquiry.
Some of the relevant information regaring  the project are:-
1. the Standard Contract Document is FIDIC 1987 edition
2. the applicable lay in my country is the Civil Code
3. the payment proportion is 50% in foreign currency (USD) and 50% in local currency (ETB)
4. the contract price is subjected to price adjustment

What happened is that the Contractor has been overly paid a significant amount of foreign currency mistakenly within 38 IPCs and needs to pay it back in accordance to clause 60.4 of GCC.

Accordingly, the Contractor has repaid some portion of the overly paid amount in USD but failed to repay the rest as he is short of dollar amount.

Hence, it is been agreed to repay the equivalent amount in local currency.

My question is whether the contractor should use the contract exchange rate (base rate) which is the prevailing exchange rate 28 days before submission of the bid or the current exchange rate (28 days before the 38th IPC) in calculating the equivalent amount.

Thank you very much for the usual cooperation!

Answer
Dear Yehuwalashet,

It all depends on the Contract.  What rate of exchange is used to calculate the proportions of foreign currency, or local currency for each IPC?  Is it the rate 28 days before the tender deadline or some other variable rate?  You should use the same rate.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott