Construction Law/Delay Damages - FIDIC 1999

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir

In saw an article that the Delay Damages can be calculated as 10% of the Accepted Contract Amount / 20% of the Time for Completion.

Could you give your comment for the above? Is the above correct?

Br

Sudantha

ANSWER: Dear Sudantha,

Thanks for your question.
If I understand your question well and since you did not send a copy of the article for my reference, I guess the article must be referring to Calculation of the delay damages as 10% of the Accepted Contract per 20% of the time for Completion. For example, if the time for completion is 100days and the Accepted Contract sum is USD 100,000.00; the delay damages would be calculated as 10% of USD 100,000.00 = USD 10, 000.00 per (20% of 100days = 5days). It, therefore, means, USD 10,000.00 per 5days which is the same thing as USD 2,000.00 per day.

Hope this helps you?

Femi

QUESTION: Dear Sir

My query is whether the above formula is correct?

Br

Sudantha

Answer
Dear Sudantha,

Incorporating terms or formula for delay damages in the contract can be worded in any form to derive the amount for such damages to be levied against the contractor. There is nothing wrong if they a client choose to word the damages clause payable that way provided it can be interpreted. Some may simply put it as a lump sum amount per period (whether day or week or month and part thereof). Some may put it as a percentage or a fraction of contract sum per period (as described) and so on.

Thanks.

Femi

Construction Law

Femi Alofe