Construction Law/Item Show in Drawing with No BOQ Item

Question
I am working in United Arab Emirates doing an infrastructure project on re-measurement basis and we have an issue that there are steel sleeves shown in some locations in the water network layout as pipe protection under road crossings but we have no BOQ item for that.

Tender Query: No Query from any bidder at the Tender stage.

Contract: Conditions of Contract for Works of Civil Engineering Construction (Fourth Edition 1987) reprinted in 1992 with further amendments as prepared by Federation Internationale Des Ingenieurs-Conseils (FIDIC), and amended or supplemented by Conditions of Particular.

Method of Measurement: CESMM3 with an added phrase in BOQ preamble saying:
“Item reference shown for the class of works according to CESMM3 generally follow the convention used by CESMM3. However, any deviation in the convention used shall not the basis for a claim”

Pricing Note in BOQ Preamble:
The Bill of Quantities, including all notes and instructions, form an integral part of the Contract Documents.

However, the descriptions contained in the Bill of Quantities for each item are not necessarily complete. The Contractor is referred to the Conditions of the Contract, Specifications and Drawings as well as relevant Standards and Codes of Practice for further information.

The Contractor is required to fully aware of the full content of other Contract Documents including the Conditions of Contract, Tender Drawings and Specifications.

"Drawings, Specifications and Bill of Quantities and all other documents are complementary and if any item is included in any of them, it shall be deemed included in all."

The client is arguing is that based on the last phrase, the steel sleeves are considered as included in contractor price and contractor is not entitled for a variation since no query was raised at tender stage.
Please advise.

Answer
Dear Mohamed,

The Employer is obviously trying to write out the basic principle of a remeasured contract, where the BoQ is indicative only, and the Employer takes full responsibility for the accuracy of the BoQ.  I suggest that this situation is a potential case of unlawful enrichment under the Civil code.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott