Construction Law/LUMPSUM CONTRACT - VARIATION FOR BOQ LESS QUANTITY

Question
Dear Jonathan,

Here is a tough situation for me from contractor claim on variation ..
This is a Lumpsum Contract RED BOOK 1987 version .

We had Plastering Quantity 900 Sqm in BOQ. But as per contract drawings is 1650 Sqm.

But now there is a slight change in design and the actual site quantity is coming to 1425 Sqm as per the revised IFC drawings.

So my question is do the contractor eligible for = 1425 Sqm - 900 Sqm = 525 Sqm ( Positive Variation)

or

Contractor eligible for = 1425Sqm - 1650Sqm = -125 Sqm ( Negative Variation)

Please advice.

Thanks & Regards,
Sasi

Answer
Dear Sasi,

You get paid only for works done which follows the requirements as set forth in the contract documents.
BOQ usually does not form part of contract and quantities are considered estimated quantities only (pleas see SC55.1).
Thus in you case you are entitled to get paid for 1425sqm of plastering works as soon you completed the works and include it in your monthly claim.

Jon

Construction Law

Jonathan L. Peralta