Construction Law/Price Adjustemnt

Salam Aleykum dear Abdul Majid Khan,
We have a construction contract in Azerbaijan with FIDIC 2010. The project is financing through JICA ODA loans( in USD). The contract payment currency and BOQ items are in USD. We are getting paid in USD. In the tender period as well as in the Contract Table A (local currency) was not applicable. Only Table B is applicable in accordance to contract. For information please note that two times in Azerbaijan was devaluation.
When we prepare our bid offer 1 USD was 0.78 AZN (local currency of Azerbaijan). When we receive advance payment 1 USD was 1.05 AZN and now 1 USD approximately equal to 1.61 AZN. Due to devaluation price for construction materials in local market is also increased for 100-120%
-       Through the Engineer’s request, we’ve prepared a price adjustment table according to FIDIC 13.8 as per formula below;

Pn = a + bLn/Lo + cMn/Mo; Whereas, a, b, c (0.25,0.25,0.50) values are in our Table B. Foreign Currency, and source of index for both labor and material are based on The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan.

-       However Engineer request us to revise the table by applying the exchange rate between US$ and AZN (Azerbaijan currency) according to the paragraph;

‘’In cases where the “currency of index” (stated in the table) is not the relevant currency of payment, each index shall be converted into the relevant currency of payment …’’

Therefore the Engineer wants to reflect devaluation to contractor and request a payback from us about %28 of our IPC amount payed previously.

Our opinion is that the purpose of this spec 13.8 is spread the risk of inflation between the Employer and the Contractor; adjustment for only inflation, as specified in the formula, with no adjustment for devaluation, so exchange rates should not be applied to this formula. The Employer has taken the risk of currency fluctuations, not The Contractor.
We kindly ask your interpretation dear Mr Abdul Majid Khan.
Thank you in advance and best regards,

Anar Malikov

Dear Malikov

Wa' alaikumussalam. Thanks for your question. On the face of it, the demand of the Consultants to convert the indices to the currency of payment seems logical and in accordance with the provisions of the Sub Clause 13.8. However if you can provide me with some more specific data and that how your point of view is supported by the Conditions of Contract, then I will be in a better position to answer.

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan

I volunteer for questions related to FIDIC Conditions of Contract 1992, EPC Contracts and Contracts based on FIDIC Harmonized Edition 2010 etc.

After graduation in Civil Engineering in 1970, I have experience in construction Management and Contract Management on projects in Pakistan and Middle East. I retired in 2009 as Vice President Construction Management and Contracts Divisions of NESPAK, Pakistan Premier Consultancy Organisation. Since then I am working as Free Lance Expert on Contracts and remained Chairman/Member Dispute Boards under FIDIC (Harmonized Edition) 2010 and as Arbitrator/ Member of Arbitration Tribunals.

Currently Free Lance Contract Expert and am on the panel of Engineering Consultancy Services Punjab (ECSP) and Quaid e Azam Solar Power Company.

I have graduated in Civil Engineering in 1970.

Various Honorariums, special awards, promotions and many appreciation letters etc during my service in NESPAK. Remained Member, Board of Management of NESPAK, the highest forum in the Organization, to assist the Managing Director.

Government as well as private clients dealing with engineering related Contracts.