Continuing/Adult Education/inmate high school diploma/ged

are there any resources for (prison) inmates to use that allow them to participate in a high school diploma/GED program through the mail and get a certificate? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for asking a question. There are a number of GED programs available. Some are by mail and some by internet. However, most require tuition/payment, and this may restrict whether or not an inmate would be able to afford a program. Also, not every incarcerated individual has the same level of access to mail and the internet.

If I were in this situation, I would check to see if perhaps my state / county through the prison system has some resources available - either classes on site or will pay for the cost of online classes. Some larger systems may have tutors available. For example, the Federal Bureau of Prisons has a program:  Another example from Michigan:

According to The American Council on Education (ACE), which administers the GED exam, the GED cannot be earned via mail, the Internet or any other way aside from sitting for an official GED exam at an authorized GED testing center.

There are many disreputable firms, so it is in your best interest to contact your state Department of Education and the prison system to see if they have GED-prep programs available. There may be some free resources available!

Take care,
Dr. Wolfe

Continuing/Adult Education

Dr. Cynthia J. Wolfe

Let me help you with questions about adult education and continuing education programs. If you are looking for a program or have questions about adult education in general, I can guide you. If you are a teacher looking for new ideas or methods, I can help. I have resources and ideas to share. I am a member of the National Business Education Association (NBEA), a professional organization devoted to the recognition that business education competencies are essential for all individuals in today's fast-changing society.

I am an instructor at the University of Phoenix, working in online and classroom modalities. I earned my PhD in Business Administration from Northcentral University, Prescott Valley, AZ. My MBA is from Troy University, 2001, and I have a BS, Environmental Science, from Troy University, 1980. Read about my experiences as an online student at my blog thinkPhD.

Delta Mu Delta National Business Honor Society; NBEA; Golden Key Honour Society; APICS; PMI

Associated Content

PhD Business Administration - Management, Northcentral University; MBA Troy University, Phenix City, AL; BS Environmental Science, Troy University, Troy, AL; APICS CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional)

APICS CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional)