Continuing/Adult Education/professor duties

Hi Dr. Wolfe,

I am a teacher currenty enroled in a continuing education program at a Canadian university.
I am very curious to know how far in advance professors or instructors know which courses/sections they will be teaching.
For example, the university I'm attending, announced the professor for an upcoming course (which I'm planning to take), several weeks ago, but now, one week prior to it's commencement, the instructor has been changed to someone else.  Are last minute changes really last minute changes, or do you tink that the professor who took over, knew well in advance that he would be taking over.  Just curious as to how this works.
Thank you in advance for your response!

Hello Victoria,
Thanks for asking a question. I suppose it really depends on the instructor or the school as to how early or late changes are made. I know at my school we are scheduled far in advance but sometimes they will pull me out of one class and give me another.  Keep in mind that not all instructors are approved for all classes. So if you have a marketing professor that also teaches critical thinking, and she is scheduled for a marketing class and at the last minute they need her to teach a new section of critical thinking...well, you can figure out what happens! There are also health issues to think about. I once had a prof scheduled for a class but then his wife was diagnosed with cancer and he took a leave of absence.

Scheduling students and instructors can be very difficult, and I am sure that the school is doing its best to be proactive and efficient.

Take care,
Dr. Wolfe

Continuing/Adult Education

Dr. Cynthia J. Wolfe

Let me help you with questions about adult education and continuing education programs. If you are looking for a program or have questions about adult education in general, I can guide you. If you are a teacher looking for new ideas or methods, I can help. I have resources and ideas to share. I am a member of the National Business Education Association (NBEA), a professional organization devoted to the recognition that business education competencies are essential for all individuals in today's fast-changing society.

I am an instructor at the University of Phoenix, working in online and classroom modalities. I earned my PhD in Business Administration from Northcentral University, Prescott Valley, AZ. My MBA is from Troy University, 2001, and I have a BS, Environmental Science, from Troy University, 1980. Read about my experiences as an online student at my blog thinkPhD.

Delta Mu Delta National Business Honor Society; NBEA; Golden Key Honour Society; APICS; PMI

Associated Content

PhD Business Administration - Management, Northcentral University; MBA Troy University, Phenix City, AL; BS Environmental Science, Troy University, Troy, AL; APICS CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional)

APICS CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional)