Contraception and VD/Condom use in college

Question
I read that condom use in college actually declines as students become more educated, and that college freshmen use condoms on average twice as much as college seniors at the same school. Why would people use condoms less as they become more educated, or do you think this data might be misinterpreted or incomplete?

Answer
Amanda,

Actually from what I heard, college students across the board were likely to engage in safer sex the MORE education they had. It was WHEN you left college and got older the riskier your behaviors become. People tend to ignore the education they receive and give into their baser instincts in favor of riskier sexual gratification because of the thrill. Hence the reason why I received 1600 questions since February of this year and I get questions from people ages 16-60 and ALL of them amaze me. So the college student data might be a microcosm of society at large, but its still better than what you might think. I'll have to look into it more, but thanks for bringing it up!

Cheers,

John

Contraception and VD

John Brice