Cookery and Culinary Arts/OVEN

I love to cook at home. Can you recommend a great oven? Should I go double oven?  Should I spring for an expensive range like Viking or Monogram?

Roger, sorry for the delay.

I'm much more familiar with commercial ovens than I am with residential models.  I have used Viking and Hobart brand commercial equipment, and it has stood up very nicely.  

To tell you the truth, when it comes to ovens in most people homes the biggest factor that leads to hotspots or uneven cooking is improper care and maintenance.  If you're looking at a high end investment like an expensive oven, it's worth maintaining.  Clean your oven twice a year, either with the self cleaning cycle or with oven cleaner (just follow the directions, this stuff can be very caustic).  You should also get your oven calibrated every year or so.  Appliance stores or appliance repair shops are probably your best lead in this department, they can either do it for you or advise you how to do it yourself.

One thing I would definitely recommend is a gas oven/range instead of electric.  Gas is more controllable and even, and electrical elements are prone to breakage.  Double ovens are great if you are able to use them.  You should ask yourself if it's really worth the cost, are you only going to be using that second oven for holiday dinners, or every weekend?  Would it be better to get an oven with a large warming drawer instead?

Other factors that you should bear in mind when oven hunting are ease of cleaning, size or burners and grates (will your biggest pot fit?), self cleaning option, energy efficiency, and complex timing controls can all be factors in your decision.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have more questions

Cookery and Culinary Arts

Adam W Price

I can answer general and specific questions related to all manner of food preparation, food cookery, and peripheral disciplines such as applied food science, nutrition, or sanitation. I am knowledgeable in meat, poultry and seafood fabrication, recipe development, world cuisines including 'fusion' styles, and all of the primary cooking methods (grilling, steaming, etc.). I can assist you with developing or redesigning recipes, planning for events (from a caterers point of view), troubleshooting recipes, identifying and working with unfamiliar ingredients or cooking methods, or (most importantly in my opinion) figuring out exactly why things happen the way they do. If we understand the science and reasoning behind our craft, then we can start learning how to cook instead of learning to recreate recipes. Other sides of the craft that I am experienced in include: sugar work (though limited experience with chocolate, sad to say), ice creams/sorbets, baking and pastry, wines (specifically when paired with foods), and others. If for some reason I cannot answer a question, I will do my best to point you toward a source that can.

I have nearly two decades of experience as a professional in the field, and I enjoy experimenting with new ideas on my own time. I have worked in restaurants ranging from quick service to fine dining, bakeries, butcher shops and institutions. I have done event planning and execution for large and small scale catered events. I have managed several kitchens and developed menus ranging from simple buffets to elaborate multi-course meals. I have an extensive library of recipe books as well as books on cooking techniques, food science, food safety, and nutrition.

I graduated with high honors from the Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park). I am ServSafe certified for food safety and sanitation, and I take this very seriously.