Cookery and Culinary Arts/Re: cooking seafood

Dear Adam,

If I cooked shrimp in the evening, then refrigerated it, would it still be good for lunch the next day?

Thank you,

As long as it's chilled properly, you should not have any problem storing your shrimp for one night.

A good rule of thumb for the kitchen is a one week shelf life once you open or prepare a product, but seafood is a good exception.  I wouldn't keep seafood for more than a couple of days, and if it starts to smell bad at all, it should be trashed.

Overnight isn't a problem though.  Just make sure that the shrimp is chilled completely.  One good method is to lay it out in a single layer on a plate, uncovered, for 30 - 60 minutes.  Once it is cold to the touch, put it in a bag or covered container.  

Cookery and Culinary Arts

Adam W Price

I can answer general and specific questions related to all manner of food preparation, food cookery, and peripheral disciplines such as applied food science, nutrition, or sanitation. I am knowledgeable in meat, poultry and seafood fabrication, recipe development, world cuisines including 'fusion' styles, and all of the primary cooking methods (grilling, steaming, etc.). I can assist you with developing or redesigning recipes, planning for events (from a caterers point of view), troubleshooting recipes, identifying and working with unfamiliar ingredients or cooking methods, or (most importantly in my opinion) figuring out exactly why things happen the way they do. If we understand the science and reasoning behind our craft, then we can start learning how to cook instead of learning to recreate recipes. Other sides of the craft that I am experienced in include: sugar work (though limited experience with chocolate, sad to say), ice creams/sorbets, baking and pastry, wines (specifically when paired with foods), and others. If for some reason I cannot answer a question, I will do my best to point you toward a source that can.

I have nearly two decades of experience as a professional in the field, and I enjoy experimenting with new ideas on my own time. I have worked in restaurants ranging from quick service to fine dining, bakeries, butcher shops and institutions. I have done event planning and execution for large and small scale catered events. I have managed several kitchens and developed menus ranging from simple buffets to elaborate multi-course meals. I have an extensive library of recipe books as well as books on cooking techniques, food science, food safety, and nutrition.

I graduated with high honors from the Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park). I am ServSafe certified for food safety and sanitation, and I take this very seriously.