Cookery and Culinary Arts/Gourmet popcorn

I want to sell flavored popcorn at an event using basic air frier and saucepans to make the syrups. How do I keep the syrup hot, liquid and ready to use as per order, without burning it?

Interesting logistical problem there.

The best solution that occurs to be off the top of my head would be a chaffing dish, or perhaps a very hot crock pot.  I would put the syrups into metal or heavy duty plastic containers, or glass jars perhaps, then store them in the chaffing dish in a hot water bath.  The water should come about halfway up the containers/jars - don't submerge them.  The water should be hot but not boiling.  You will probably want a cover too (aluminum foil will likely work) to help keep the heat in.

Water will never get above 212F (100C) in our situation, so the containers inside will never get above 212, so the syrup will never have a chance to burn as long as there is still water in the dish.

Hope that helps.  If not, give me more details about what you're going to do and I can help more.

Cookery and Culinary Arts

Adam W Price

I can answer general and specific questions related to all manner of food preparation, food cookery, and peripheral disciplines such as applied food science, nutrition, or sanitation. I am knowledgeable in meat, poultry and seafood fabrication, recipe development, world cuisines including 'fusion' styles, and all of the primary cooking methods (grilling, steaming, etc.). I can assist you with developing or redesigning recipes, planning for events (from a caterers point of view), troubleshooting recipes, identifying and working with unfamiliar ingredients or cooking methods, or (most importantly in my opinion) figuring out exactly why things happen the way they do. If we understand the science and reasoning behind our craft, then we can start learning how to cook instead of learning to recreate recipes. Other sides of the craft that I am experienced in include: sugar work (though limited experience with chocolate, sad to say), ice creams/sorbets, baking and pastry, wines (specifically when paired with foods), and others. If for some reason I cannot answer a question, I will do my best to point you toward a source that can.

I have nearly two decades of experience as a professional in the field, and I enjoy experimenting with new ideas on my own time. I have worked in restaurants ranging from quick service to fine dining, bakeries, butcher shops and institutions. I have done event planning and execution for large and small scale catered events. I have managed several kitchens and developed menus ranging from simple buffets to elaborate multi-course meals. I have an extensive library of recipe books as well as books on cooking techniques, food science, food safety, and nutrition.

I graduated with high honors from the Culinary Institute of America (Hyde Park). I am ServSafe certified for food safety and sanitation, and I take this very seriously.