Cookery and Culinary Arts/marinating fish for BBQ

Question
I've read that after fish has marinaded in the refrigerator, it is a good idea to remove the marinade before grilling the fish, to prevent the spread of bacteria. It seems to me it is impossible to remove all of the marinade. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Answer
David,

I'm going to hit you with a short answer, let me know if you need further explanation.

Marinating, in this case, is a flavor enhancer.  The goal is that while the fish sits in the marinade, it will absorb salt and flavors via the process of osmosis.  In addition to this, many marinades (as opposed to brines) are designed to stay on or with the meat when it is cooked.  Allowing the marinade to stay in contact with the fish/meat during the cooking process will help to develop more complex flavors (the marinade ingredients interact with the heat and the meat) and may also help to moderate heat absorption and help the food cook more evenly (such as with an oil based marinade)

If your marinade is high in sugar, there is a possibility that it could burn.  This is especially common on grills, and even more so on smaller home or outdoor grills, which tend to have more hotspots than commercial grills.  If your marinade has a lot of sugar (like BBQ sauce), best to remove any excess (not all of it, just the excess) before cooking.  Keep an close eye, brown is a delicious color, black is not.

Lastly - Fish tends to be much safer than other meats in it's raw form (think sushi), but it could still lead to nasty foodborne illness if mishandled.  Removing the marinade in itself will not help prevent contamination, however - once anything comes in contact with raw fish, it becomes contaminated with bacteria and a potential health risk itself.  This goes for the marinade, counter tops, utensils, plates, sinks, and your hands.  So you could potentially spread bacteria by splattering fishy marinade around, but if you take proper precautions you'll be fine.  (Isolate and contain!)

A mixture of 1 Tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon water is a very effective solution with which to sanitize your work area and tools after handling raw meat or fish.

Cookery and Culinary Arts

Adam W Price