Cooking Meat/Elk Meat

JAnderson wrote at 2013-02-26 01:50:38
The elk was tainted by the musk glands and the hind legs. Males urinate on these during mating season to enhance the scent. Many hunters like to cut out the musk glands right away to prevent this. I haven't found any cooking strategy that removes the taste entirely, but cooking the elk meat with aromatic flavors such as onions and garlic can help. Then I usually add generous amounts of salt, pepper, and cayenne. Most of my family will eat it, but I can still taste the musk. Next I would try marinating the meat in some sort of acid, like lemon, yogurt, or vinegar. This neutralizes the nitrogen groups that contribute to gamey flavor.

Cooking Meat

Keith Patton

I can answer questions regarding wildgame cookery ranging from venison, elk, buffalo, wild geese, duck, wild turtle, feral hog, javalena, wild boar, racoon, beaver, and woodchuck.

I am an avid hunter and chef. I have run a successful catering business, processing my own meat, curing hams and making wild game sausage.