Cooking Meat/Turkey Problem

Hiya. There seems to be little blue bits under my turkey skin after defrosting. I read a bit online and it seems they are from the feathers but I wanted to know if I can eat the turkey without removing them or do they have to be removed?

Hi Justin:

It seems to be what you read, feathers, if so, you can eat it with or without those blue bits, but, take in account the following:

If rare colors (specially green or velvet) are present on any meat, you have to check: expiration date, brand, origin and odor, if it is rare too, you should not eat that meat.

On the other hand, if rare colors are present but no odors, you have to chek if, for example, are due to little pieces of extrange materials (plastics, bags, metals,etc), and talk with sellet to change the product. (is better if you took some pics).

I hope this information helps you, and don´t hesitate to contact me again if you need further information,

Merry christmas!! and a happy new year!  

Cooking Meat

Enrique Torres

More than 9 Yr. experience in R&D and business development of new ingredients and processes related to beef steaks and other meat fillets improvement for institutional and industrial customers in the following fields: Raw meat: Increasing cualinariy quality in beef staks/ fillets while: a. Reducing/eliminating ageing time in beef cuts. b. Reducing dripp loss in vaccum packed beef. c. Increasing culinary quality not only in premium, but also cheap beef cuts. d. Obtaining microbiologically safe products. Cooked meat: a. Increasing cooking yield in meat steaks/fillets from beef, chicken , pork and fish. b. Reducing / eliminates customer´s complains about hardness, lack of juiciness or size of meat steaks/fillets from beef, chicken, pork and fish. c. Reducing cooking times of meat steaks/fillets about 20%. d. Developing pre-cooking methods of meat steaks/fillets ensuring culinary quality and controling costs. e.Safe and agile new sous vide processing methods applied to meat steaks/fillets. f. Developing new meat products according to market needs and new potential businesses. Expertise in meat steaks/fillets cooking methods: a. Sauté. b. Grilling c. Friying. d. Convenction oven. e. Combined oven (Combi). f. Sous Vide Industries of expertise: a. Slaughtering hauses. b. Beef purveyors. c. Poultry purveyors. d. Catering (army, schools, hospitals) e. Restaurant chains. f. Sous Vide chicken breast processor. g. Meat Ingredients Companies. Specialties MEAT STEAKS/FILLETS PROCESSING SOUS VIDE MEAT STEAK/FILLETS PROCESSING. IMPROVED MEAT STEAKS/FILLETS MARKETING AND BUSINESS

I´been working on studies in meat fillets cooking since 2000, my expertise is based on the lastest studies in meat histology changes related to ageing, storage and cooking process and recipes. My expertise is focused on juiciness and tenderness improvement and yield increasing.

In spanish: Translation: Improvement of culinary quality of beef during cooking process. A ( U$150.000)investigation work. about how to cook 4 standard beef cuts, while reducing ageing time and loses, using last edible technolgy (steam barrier).

La Salle Univ. Animal Scientist 1986-1992 National University of Colombia Food and Science Technology focused on meat processing.1992-1994 Andes University (Colombia) Marketing Specialist 1997-1999 Saint Joseph's University (Philadelphia) Food Marketing 2001 Meat processors consultant since 2002.

Grupo Carbón de Palo (Colombia) Pizza Hut (Colombia)