Cooking Meat/wild hog meat

Question
just received fresh wild hog meat-I have never cooked this meat. Is there something I need to do b4 cooking the meat? Do I need to soak it or rinse it in something other than water? The meat has come to us not cut up in any order. I am at a loss. Any help is welcome. Thanks

Answer
Pam:

If the meat does not smell or have an off odor, you won't need to do much of anything.  Some meat has a musky odor due to boar taint.  This is a hormonal thing found in uncastrated boar hogs.  The older they are the worse it gets.  If this was young boar or sow meat then the problem is probably not there.

When you soak meat in brine, beer or juice, what you are doing is simply diluting any off flavors in the meat and replacing it somewhat with the flavor of the soaking fluid.  So if you want a fruitier flavor, apple juice is a good choice.  There are pork brines out on the web that have salt and spices in them that you could soak the meat in to jazz it up.

As far as cooking it if the meat in in different sized you can make cutlets out of it by pounding it with a mallet, or a short piece of 4x4 works well too.  Put it on a cutting board, I cover the meat with a plastic shopping bag to prevent splatter and pound it on both sides till it is a little less than 1/4 thick.  What you are making is pork schnitzel.  You can bread it like chicken fried steak, or just sautee it in butter.  The mechanical tenderizing of the pounding will make the meat fork tender.

You can serve it with a mushroom gravy, and a side of oven roasted potatoes and some greens cooked with bacon.  The germans make a special schnitzel dish, usually with veal, but they follow the recipe above, with the mushroom gravy, but add a fried egg on top.  That was one of their emperor's favorite dishes....Jager Schnitzel Hollstein.  Jager means "Hunter".

Since this is wild, do make sure that you cook the meat to over 140F how ever you cook it.  

Cooking Meat

Keith Patton