Cooking Meat/logs from meat

Question
how do you make logs out of ground beef?

Answer
Ron:

You appear to be in uncharted territory here.  I looked up some recipes and the ones offered are pretty lousy.

I have never made one but it appears there are two schools of thought here.  One is to make them small, the other is make them large like 5 lbs and cook them for a long time.

The basic recipes appear to be similar to meat loaf, but a bit more highly seasoned.  Not much imagination there.

If I were to make on, I think I would first mix the meat with the seasoning by hand thoroughly, then roll or simply spread the meat out on wax paper laid on the back of a cookie sheet or counter.  Then spread ketchup, or even strips of bacon on the surface, then roll it up like a large jelly roll.  This way you will have the "tree rings" when the log is sliced.
To roll it up you'll need to peel away the wax paper as you roll it.

How thick your log ends up will depend on how thin you rolled it out to begin with.  You might want to experiment with this, but do it without the bacon or ketchp first to see how thick the resultin log is.  You dont' want it massive, no more than 4 inches or so I would say.  It will cook down a bit. So say 4.5 to 5 inches.

Now after you get you roll rolled up, you could add bark, either roll it in crushed black pepper, or mix additional black pepper with ketchup and brush it on. Or you could wrap the outside with still more bacon.

After you are finished place it in a baking pan, or on your cookie sheet.  If you have a grate that will fit in the pan use it or a broiling pan.  Something that will allow the juice and fat to drip down.

Bake the log in a oven and bake at 150F until the internal temp is at least 150F.  This is to make sure that your bacon if you used it at part of your internal wrapping is cooked.  It will be soft.  Another option is to pre-cook the bacon used on the inside, fry it until it is starting to brown, but not crispy, so it still has some fat to contribute to the meat.

1 1/2 poundsground beef

1onion, chopped

2-3 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoonsbrown sugar

2 tablespoonsprepared mustard

1 lb of bacon

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste

3.In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and coat over the meatloaf if not using bacon.
4.Bake at 250 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 2 hours or until internal temp is 150F.

If you like conventional meat loaf, add a cup of bread crumbs and a 1/2 cup of milk.  I simply add eggs to help hold the meat together.

Cooking Meat

Keith Patton