Cooking Meat/cooking

how long do you soak wild pig in apple cider vinger

First thing you need to know is the only thing soaking meat in ANYTHING does is dilute any off flavors that might be in the meat.  Most off flavors are due to poor handling in the field, or in the case of an old hog, boar taint.  Boar taint is due to hormones, that's why they castrate commercial male hogs except the ones they plan to keep for breeders.

So say you have a rank piece of meat and you want to dilute the flavor so it is more palatable.
It really does not matter what you soak it in.

A vinegar soak is going to give you something akin to the German dish sauerbraten, where the meat has a tart almost sour taste.

Soaking in marinades of any kind do little to tenderize meat.  The only real means of tenderizing is mechanical, like beating it with a mallet, or slicing it with hundreds of little blades such as they do with Salisbury steak.

So, how long to soak it in vinegar?  How about less than one second, and try soaking it in apple juice instead?

Brining and soaking have become popular to add flavor to meat and in the case of poultry brines, adding more moisture to the meat.  If you soak meat in a solution, nature tries to equalize the concentrations of the two things.  This is called a membrane reaction.  You might have done or read about his in high school chemistry or biology, its one of the driving mechanisms of life.  High concentrations will move through the cell membrane and visa versa in order to equalize solutions.  That is how we get electrolytes and water into our bodies from our digestive tract.

So, if you mix up a solution of apple juice or your favorite juice or beverage, then add some salt or spices and soak the meat, the solution will pull out some of the off flavor and replace it with the flavor of the solution.  The stronger the solution, the greater the effect.  The longer you soak it, the deeper the solution will move into the meat.  So if the cuts are thin the process takes less time, than with a roast, ham or shoulder.

Do a query for pork brines or marinades to find some recipes.  Craft beer, like a brown ale or a Belgian, or wheat beer would work too.  Stay away from the hoppy beers as they will add a bitter taste.  Apple goes well with pork, so a concentrated solution of frozen apple juice, mixed with less than the recommended amount of water would work, with maybe a little hot sauce or whatever else you fancy, thrown in.

Cooking Meat

Keith Patton

I can answer questions regarding wildgame cookery ranging from venison, elk, buffalo, wild geese, duck, wild turtle, feral hog, javalena, wild boar, racoon, beaver, and woodchuck.

I am an avid hunter and chef. I have run a successful catering business, processing my own meat, curing hams and making wild game sausage.