Cooking for Parties/catering for an 18th - 80 guests

Question
Hi Teri,
Could you please advise me of the quantities that I would need for and 18th birthday party with 80 guests.  The guests range from Grandparents to children.  There would be about 20-30 teenagers in this mix.  It will be the end of spring here in Australia so I was planning/thinking of doing 4 different kinds of salads (preprepared from a party supplier), cold meat platters and BBQ chicken, dinner rolls and for dessert, fruit platters, birthday cake and maybe pavlovas.  I would like to just plate the food on a serving platter or dishes and have it as a buffet style where the guests can serve themselves.  I do not want to be a slave to the kitchen as it is a wonderful opportunity to catch up with friends and family.  I just don't know the quantities that I need.  The party will be at a hall and the kitchen facilities are not brillant so I will be trying to do as much 'disposable' as I can.  Thank you for any help or advise that you can give me.
Cathy

Answer
Here's the rule of catering as to how much you will need per person:
7 ounces of cooked meat or pasta entrée (NOT BOTH!!)
4 ounces of each side dish up to 3
3 ounces of salad greens
1 4 ounce dessert serving
6-8 appetizer bites per person
16 oz of non-alcoholic beverage
2 oz of chips per person
1 oz of dip per person
Multiply the ounces times the number of guests and then divide by 16 to give you pounds of food and the beverage by 128 to give you the number of gallons of beverage you will need.

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman