Cooking for Parties/Party Food Amounts | Baby Shower

Question
Hello, thank you for your time! I am hosting a Baby Shower for a good friend with approximately 35-40 people in attendance (including about 5 small children). We are having a salad bar with a few types of lettuce (romaine & spring mix), various toppings (i.e. red/green pepper, carrot, cucumber, cheese, seeds, croutons, etc.), and our proteins are marinated chicken & hard-boiled egg. In addition, we will also be serving fruit salad & rolls with the salad bar. My question is regarding how much to provide/purchase to adequately serve our guests (i.e. how much chicken, eggs, lettuce, fruit, toppings, etc.). We will also be having a candy & baked goods table with all kinds of treats to choose from. Again, your time and assistance are appreciated!

Answer
Everyone makes too much food and ends up with tons of leftovers and wasted food (which is wasted money) and wonders why.  I get a lot of people who write to me and tell me that they thought they would not have enough food but did what I told them and had plenty of food but minimal leftovers.

Think like a restaurant manager for a second and pretend you are SELLING food.  Would you expect your customer to buy two different kinds of salad?  No. Do you go to a restaurant and order two different salads? No. Make your salad with proteins and such and add some strawberries to it which will be delicious.  Forget the fruit salad.  4 sweets on the dessert table will be plenty, don't go crazy--again, think like a restaurant manager.  Do people order 4 different desserts? No.  Who sits and eats nothing but sugar?  No one. Limit your choices and you will have much less waste.  I'd recommend some chips and salsa or some other kind of dip--a salty counterpoint to the sweets.

You will need per person:
1/2 hardboiled eggs chopped up
3 oz strawberries
3 oz lettuce
5 oz chopped chicken
1 TBS nuts/seeds
3 cuke slices
1 oz of cheese
1 TBS croutons
1 slice of cake or 1 serving of sweets

Multiply times the number of people and divide by 16 for pounds needed.

Let me know if you need more help!  

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman