Cooking for Parties/cooking for 220 people

Question
I'm cooking for 220 people. Would you please tell me how much I should buy for each item on the menu?

Chicken Teriyaki:  for 1 1/2 cups of teriyaki sauce. How much sauce should I make?
1 TBSP grated onion
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 TBSP grated ginger
1 cup soy sauce
1 TBSP sesame oil
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 kg chicken pieces thighs? breasts?

White rice, steamed cooked.  How much raw rice?

Mixed steamed vegetables. How much of each?
broccoli
cauliflower
carrots
red bell pepper

Thank you very much!!!

Answer
How to Scale a Recipe

The Mac and Cheese recipe makes five servings, but you’re throwing a dinner party for nine people. You’re in luck: We’ve made it easy to scale our recipes up to greater yields (or down if you have fewer mouths to feed) by using baker’s percentages. Just follow these simple steps.

Look in the scaling column of the recipe, and find the ingredient having a scaling value of 100%. Note the weight given. The 100% ingredient is usually the one that has the biggest effect on the yield of the recipe.
   Example: The 100% ingredient in the Mac and Cheese recipe above is white cheddar cheese.
   Calculate the scaling factor by dividing the number of servings (or grams) you want to make by the recipe yield.
   Example: This recipe yields five servings. If you are making nine servings, the scaling factor is 9 ÷ 5 = 1.8. (You can use the weight of the yield rather than the servings to calculate the scaling factor: If you want to make 1,100 grams of mac and cheese from a recipe that yields 800 g as written, the scaling factor is 1,100 ÷ 800 = 1.4.)
   Calculate the scaled 100% value for the recipe by multiplying the weight of the 100% ingredient by the scaling factor from step 2.
   Example: This five-serving recipe calls for 285 g of white cheddar, which is the 100% ingredient. To make nine servings, you will thus need 285 g x 1.8 = 513.0 g of white cheddar cheese. The scaled 100% value for this recipe is 513.0.
   Calculate the scaled weight for every other ingredient in the recipe by multiplying its scaling percentage by the scaled 100% value from above. You can ignore the weights and volumes given in the recipe—just use the scaling percentages.
   Example: The scaling percentage given for dry macaroni is 84%. Multiplying this by the scaled 100% from step 3, you find that 0.84 x 513.0 = 430.9. Similarly, you need 0.93 x 513.0 = 477.1 g of water or milk and 0.04 x 513.0 = 20.5 g of sodium citrate.

Because volume measurements are often rounded to the nearest spoon or cup, you should not multiply or divide volumes when scaling a recipe up or down. Instead, scale the weights as described above, and then weigh the ingredients on a digital scale.

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman