Cooking for Parties/Wedding for 250

QUESTION: I am having a summer wedding and I'm inviting about 275 people. Due to my fiance and I paying for pretty much everything we do not ha e the money to get it catered. How much of each item to you think we will need if out menu is...
Cheesy potatoes
Mac n cheese
Mustard Greens
Baked Beans
Fried chicken
Is there anything that you think I should add or leave out?

ANSWER: Before you commit to doing all of this work, I would strongly suggest that you contact Boston market. They have incredibly inexpensive catering rates for their food; probably $10 per person which is cheaper than you can cook it yourself and you won't have the work to do.  At $10 per person it means that you can have your wedding catered for less than $3000. This is a bargain beyond belief.  It will cost you more than that to do it yourself, and when you throw in the labor factor; before your wedding and how crazy it will make you, it will be a bargain it twice the price and it's affordable. If however this is beyond your budget. then get back to me and I will tell you how much you need of every particular item on your menu

QUESTION: I live in a smaller city where all the catering companies are family owned and the charge a lot. The cheapest I could find in the area was 5600 for 250. I figued I would just go to Sams club to buy everything in bult and have my aunt cook I just don't know how much she should.

There's NO way one person can cook for 250 people. There's a reason catering companies charge what they do.  Trust me and call them, they'll get it to you.

Here's the rule of catering as to how much you will need per person:
7 ounces of cooked meat or pasta entrée (NOT BOTH!!)
4 ounces of each side dish up to 3
3 ounces of salad greens
1 4 ounce dessert serving
6-8 appetizer bites per person
16 oz of non-alcoholic beverage
2 oz of chips per person
1 oz of dip per person
Multiply the ounces times the number of guests and then divide by 16 to give you pounds of food and the beverage by 128 to give you the number of gallons of beverage you will need.

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman

I am a wedding and party planner in St. Louis, Missouri and I do weddings and parties all over the country! My brides are my number one priority as I understand how important their wedding day is to them! Any questions about catering and cooking for large groups. This would include recipes, cooking techniques, what to serve, how to prevent food poisoning, food storage and food integrity. I have thousands of recipes that are scaled for large groups and gatherings and will be happy to share them! If you are in need of professional assistance for helping you to plan your wedding, party or corporate event, please feel free to contact me! I do a limited amount of weddings and parties every year in order to make sure that I have the best service for my clientele. Feel free to visit my business website at this address: WWW.EXQUISITEEVENTSUSA.COM for detailed information on what services I offer. I have price point weddings for every budget--no matter what size and I am very specific about what you get for your hard-earned money.

Catering and parties are a large part of the restaurant business. I do a lot of catering for local parties and weddings.
Graduate, Le Cordon Bleu, Tokyo, Japan

Graduate, Le Cordon Bleu, Tokyo, Japan

Past/Present Clients expert for 9 years, owner with 30 thousand original recipes on site.