Cooking for Parties/wedding reception, help

Question
Hi, I'm getting married after many years of being a divorcee.  We are having a private ceremony but choosing to have a reception for all our friends and family.  Beach themed and very casual.  Nothing very traditional.  Everyone has said to cater, cater, cater the reception, but I really like the idea of croissant sandwiches or meatballs, chips, pasta salad, relish plates, finger food, etc.  I will have approx. 80 people attend. Could you please provide some guidance?  What is the best way to go for that number and if I decide to prepare the food myself could you give me an idea of how much of those items listed I might need?
Thanks for any help and advice.

Angela

Answer
Walmart cake
Walmart cake  
Go to the deli at your favorite grocery store.  They have wonderful meat and cheese party platters and you can get about anything you want.  The deli will tell you how many people each platter will serve. You can get rolls for little sandwiches or mini-croissants if you prefer.  You can get hot and cold platters. You can get meatballs, chicken wings, BBQ ribs--whatever you want.  You can get salads of any kind along with chips and dips.  I once had to put together a reception for 100 on 5 days notice--I went right to the Publix deli and it was a smash.  Supermarket deli sections are the best and least expensive caterers going and they also make wedding cakes!  You can get a 2-tier 75-90 person cake at the Wal-mart bakery for $90 or so and I've attached a photo of the last one I bought.  They will be able to help you with portions--and remember--it's way better to run out than to have 100 pounds of leftovers.

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman