Cooking for Parties/60th anniv. open house

Question
We are having an open house for my parents 60th wedding anniversary. It will be from 2-5pm and guest should be around 150-180 people. Cake seems so blah and I am afraid it will dry out. We will have punch and coffee and I was thinking of veggies and fruit- maybe even 5" fruit kabobs.'Is this too much food and what do you suggest??

Answer
wedding cake 2 tier Walmart
wedding cake 2 tier Wa  
Since you are not having this open house during a mealtime, light refreshments are all that you will need.
I would definitely keep the cake and if you want it to look special get a tiered cake from Wal-mart as they make great fresh and inexpensive cakes. You can look through their book of wedding cakes which are lovely and a 3 tier cake is about $125.  I've attached a photo of a 2 tier cake I served at my wedding and it was delicious and fresh.  It served 70 people with leftovers.  Punch, coffee and cake with fruit kabobs would be a light repast that would be just right for this kind of event.  Wal-mart will change the colors of icing, they put pink on my cake instead of white.  It won't dry out either.

Cooking for Parties

Teri Davis Newman