Cooking & Restaurant Management/Time off

Hello Jeffrey,
I've recently gotten a job as a Part Time Crew Member for McDonald's, one that is privately owned. My orientation is Jan. 14 and then I will get an official start date from there. My question to you is, would it be appropriate to ask for up to 4 days (in a row) off in July? By then, I'll have worked 5-6 months, and I don't plan on calling in AT ALL unless absolutely necessary. Also, when should I talk to my manager about the 4 days off? It's for a short trip, and I could even make it a 3 day break. What do you think? Thanks so much for your advice.

As a good, proactive manager,  I want to have time-off requests as far in advance as possible. And for most employee segments (students, part-time, seasonal, etc...)it is especially so. I would also plan on four days instead of three for the simple fact that it is easier to drop one day than to add it.  

Cooking & Restaurant Management

Jeffrey Summers

I am the Founder & Owner of Summers Hospitality Group. We have over 300 years of successful experience in operating and consulting with chain, franchise and independent restaurant & hotel operators around the world. Check us out on the web for more information at or call us toll free at 888-998-8744.

We have experience on any topic related to the restaurant & hospitality industry - from Menu R&D, Menu Engineering, Marketing Strategies, New Store Openings, P&L Analysis, Lease Negotiations, Staffing, Policies & Procedures, Building & Design, Site Location, Branding, PR & Promotions, Multi-Unit Development, and any other area effecting the operation of your business.

The National Restaurant Association. The Society of Hospitality Management. The Gerson Lehrman Leisure & Lodging Council The Professional Business Coaches Alliance The International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education Several state restaurant & hotel associations.

My articles and opinion pieces have been featured on several industry websites, magazines, blogs and forums including: The Wall Street Journal, USA Today,,,,, Restaurant Startup & Growth Magazine, Money Mgazine, American Express' Briefing Newsletter, Nation's Restaurant News, 22 State Restaurant Association Magazines, and much more.

I hold degrees in Economics, English, Culinary Arts and industry certifications in Hospitality Management and Restaurant & Catering Management.

Here's a list of some of the brands we have worked with: Hardee's Super X Drug Stores Connie's Pizza Burger King Chili's Long John Silver's The Purple Sage Bistro Applebee's Shoney's T.G.I. Friday's Century 21 House of Realty La Dolce Vita Pastries & Catering Wal Mart 5 Seasons Sports Clubs Wendy's Bennigan's Riverside Publishing Godfather's Pizza Ovations Dining & Entertainment Romaine's Stew's Microbrewery & Eatery Xerox Food Service Double D's Sourdough Pizza and literally hundreds of other Independent Operations.