Coping with Loss/Coping with loss

Question
Hello, my name is wendy, i was born on 13/05/1976, i lost my gran in january this year an in september just gone i lost my son, my first born at 20yrs old, how am i suppose to accept this, will i ever ?

Answer
Dear Wendy,

I JUST got your question! I'm so sorry for the delay in response.

I am deeply sorry for your losses. Two major losses in the same year compounds and complicates the grieving process so please be very patient and gentle with yourself. Your losses were so recent that you are probably still experiencing feelings of being stunned and shocked. I lost my brother and my baby daughter in the same year. The loss of my daughter caused me to delay my grief for my brother. I didn't even begin to process my grief for my brother until one full year later!

I'm not sure there is an answer to the question, "How am I supposed to accept this, will I ever?" The process doesn't work that way. All you can do is integrate your experience of loss into your life and allow yourself to grieve for as long as you need to. As you let yourself feel all the feeling that come up, you will begin to heal. As you heal, you will "become" a new version of you. A deeper more compassionate Wendy because you have experienced loss.

I would recommend that you write letters in a journal to your gran and to your son. Tell them everything you never said and everything you want to say. When a loved one dies it is the end of their physical life, not the end of the relationship!

Take good care of you!

Gabrielle

Coping with Loss

Rev. Gabrielle Michel