Copyright & Patents/PPA Question

My question is dealing with specification and drawings. I am working on a PPA for a product. It's dealing with bedding (sheets/blankets). The product is specifically geared for crib mattress, but want it broad enough so I could make for any size bed.

My initial drawings depict the crib mattress. The detailed description (not the claims) also references the crib mattress along with dimensions of the invention. The dimensions would actually vary based on the mattress used (twin, queen, king, etc).

So my question is, should I include drawings of all the other potential mattress sizes, and/or work in dimensions for the product if they were made for those mattress sizes?

Short answer: No.

Patent drawings are usually non dimensional. The only exception would be in the case of a dimension being important as an enablement factor in the performance of the invention, which is very rarely the case.

Hope that helps.

Reading "Patent It Yourself" by David Pressman would help you prepare a better PAP.

George H. Morgan
Patent Agent

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent

U.S. Patent Law only, no copyright or trademark qualification. I was a volunteer in the past, but my homeland defense activities pulled me away at times, and I was dropped. If you want me back, I am willing to come back.

Thirty one years as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent and a lifetime in product and manufacturing process and methods development as well as sales and marketing of new products with a number of blue chip corporations.

Rotary, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Army Aviation Association, Registered Professional Engineer, St. Vincent De Paul Society, Indiana Guard Reserve Officer

Various Society of Manufacturing Engineers & Society of Automotive Engineers technical publications. Ref. my web site:

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Machine Design Option), L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana; M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics Option), University of Missouri at Rolla, Missouri, Helicopter Maintenance Course, 18 weeks, Ft. Sill Army Aviation School, Troop Information and Education Leadership Course, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, Numerous Society of Automotive Engineers Seminars, Dale Carnegie Management Training Instructors Course.

Bausch & Lomb Science Award, Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon, 2003.