Copyright & Patents/Copyright on internet photos?

Firstly, I just want to be sure I've come to the right place. So do you have any knowledge of using a photo that has been portrayed in public domain (google images) being used for a book cover that plans to be published on Amazon kindle (UK) (to purchase not free).
What are the rights of the photographer (who I cannot find name/email/website) and what are mine?
I'll ask in more detail if/when I know you have knowledge of this.
Thank you

I am not a copyright expert. But what I write below is what I can say - and believe is correct - about the subject of your question.

Google Images are not free from copyright. See the link below.

So the photographer - unless he died more than 70 years ago - has his copyright. It is as simple as that. Should the image be free from copyright, then the photographer or his heirs still has a "moral right", which means you are not allowed to use his work in a way he may not agree with. You may not alter it in a way that would be offending to him, for instance by using it as a cover for a pornographic book.
A second aspect is that you cannot find his wherabouts. To state it simple: that is your problem, not his.
I believe that you do not have the right to use the photo. If you still eant to do so, I would advise you to consult a lawyer, specialised in copyright first.

Copyright & Patents

Rene Hasekamp

I can answer questions about European patent law and practice. My experience mainly lies in the Dutch patent practice. I am not familiar with other patent systems than the European and Dutch systems, although I am familiar with general issues regarding patents. Please don`t ask me questions, specific for US patent law or any other non-European patent law.

I have been a patent examiner in the Netherlands Patent Office for 35 years. Now I am retired. I have been a deputy judge for patent cases in The Hague's District Court from January 1991 until June 2011.

I graduated in Chemistry and Law at Leiden University. I have worked in the Netherlands Patent Office as an examiner for 35 years until my retirement in 2003. I was appointed as a honorary deputy judge for patent cases in 1991. After my retirement I still work at a few cases on patent law in The Hague District Court.