Copyright & Patents/copyright original cartoon characters

i have a few of my own cartoon characters that i'm interested in copyrighting just in case someone takes them and claims them as their own. do i have to pay to submit each character, or can i copyright them all at once?

Works that you are seeking to protect by copyright can generally be protected collectively.
This so so for poems, songs, characters or other works of art, or computer programs.
The U.S. Copyright Office has an excellent website at
The site is quite user friendly.  These forms are available online and you can fill them out yourself without need for counsel.
There is also technical support available - see Technical Support for Online Registration or Preregistration
You may also want to consider trademark protection for some of your best characters.  For example, Disney has "Mickey Mouse" registered as a copyright and a trademark.
Good luck with your registrations, Kara.
My best regards,
  --Gerald R. Black
    Attorney and Counselor

Copyright & Patents

Gerald R. Black

Intellectual Property Patents Global Patent Rights PCT Technology Transfer Copyrights Trademarks

Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent Office Admitted to Practice Law in Michigan, California, and Ohio

Capital University Law School - JD University of Cincinnati - BSME