Copyright & Patents/wife's patent with company

Question
Hi George,

My wife created a few design patents while working for a company. She has since been laid off. Now the company keeps contacting her requesting her to review the design and sign a document that says she would sell, assign and transfer for the sum of one dollar the full and exclusive right of the invention to the company.  

Is it reasonable for my wife to ask for some compensation from the company to review the design and sign the document?  Would it make sense to request a portion of the future profits that the company makes from the sale of these products?

Thank you,
Jay

Answer
Jay, there is a problem answering you through this site. I spent an hour working on the reply, which should have only taken ten minutes. Then the reply disappeared & I have to start over.

If you will email me at patagent@att.net, or call me at (812) 476-4065 I will share my free opinion with you and answer questions. Today, Sunday, is preferred so it doesn't interfere with a busy schedule during the week.

But, don't sign any papers until you talk or email either me or consult a local attorney in your state.

George

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent