Copyright & Patents/wife's patent with company

Hi George,

My wife created a few design patents while working for a company. She has since been laid off. Now the company keeps contacting her requesting her to review the design and sign a document that says she would sell, assign and transfer for the sum of one dollar the full and exclusive right of the invention to the company.  

Is it reasonable for my wife to ask for some compensation from the company to review the design and sign the document?  Would it make sense to request a portion of the future profits that the company makes from the sale of these products?

Thank you,

Jay, there is a problem answering you through this site. I spent an hour working on the reply, which should have only taken ten minutes. Then the reply disappeared & I have to start over.

If you will email me at, or call me at (812) 476-4065 I will share my free opinion with you and answer questions. Today, Sunday, is preferred so it doesn't interfere with a busy schedule during the week.

But, don't sign any papers until you talk or email either me or consult a local attorney in your state.

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent

U.S. Patent Law only, no copyright or trademark qualification. I was a volunteer in the past, but my homeland defense activities pulled me away at times, and I was dropped. If you want me back, I am willing to come back.

Thirty one years as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent and a lifetime in product and manufacturing process and methods development as well as sales and marketing of new products with a number of blue chip corporations.

Rotary, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Army Aviation Association, Registered Professional Engineer, St. Vincent De Paul Society, Indiana Guard Reserve Officer

Various Society of Manufacturing Engineers & Society of Automotive Engineers technical publications. Ref. my web site:

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Machine Design Option), L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana; M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics Option), University of Missouri at Rolla, Missouri, Helicopter Maintenance Course, 18 weeks, Ft. Sill Army Aviation School, Troop Information and Education Leadership Course, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, Numerous Society of Automotive Engineers Seminars, Dale Carnegie Management Training Instructors Course.

Bausch & Lomb Science Award, Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon, 2003.