Copyright & Patents/shoe design patent

dear, i travel all the time to different countries for the company i work for. i have seen some awesome shoes which i have never seen them here in USA. can i patent a shoe design or have the copyright on one of the shoe design with minor changes so no one else can manufacturer or sell them in USA except me.
plz advise.

The criterea on what you want to do, is that if both pairs of shoes, your design and the existing design, would be confused with each other, if they were side by side in the market place. So, your design would need to have something distinctive about it.

You can copyright your literature and Point of Purchase materials, but not an article of manufacturer.

Your diesign patent would not keep the existing design out of the U.S., as it is prior art.

I do hope that helps you in your decision making.

Best wishes on your project, as I think shoes, especially women's shoes, are very important, both for support and self esteem. My wife works ten hours a day, on her feet, in a distribution warehouse, and shoes that look good as well as preserve her health and comfort are so important.

George H. Morgan
Patent Agent

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent

U.S. Patent Law only, no copyright or trademark qualification. I was a volunteer in the past, but my homeland defense activities pulled me away at times, and I was dropped. If you want me back, I am willing to come back.

Thirty one years as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent and a lifetime in product and manufacturing process and methods development as well as sales and marketing of new products with a number of blue chip corporations.

Rotary, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Army Aviation Association, Registered Professional Engineer, St. Vincent De Paul Society, Indiana Guard Reserve Officer

Various Society of Manufacturing Engineers & Society of Automotive Engineers technical publications. Ref. my web site:

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Machine Design Option), L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana; M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics Option), University of Missouri at Rolla, Missouri, Helicopter Maintenance Course, 18 weeks, Ft. Sill Army Aviation School, Troop Information and Education Leadership Course, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, Numerous Society of Automotive Engineers Seminars, Dale Carnegie Management Training Instructors Course.

Bausch & Lomb Science Award, Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon, 2003.