Copyright & Patents/Provisional Patent Application

Question
I am designing a new product and looking to file a provisional patent application. I think my product in the end will require both a design and utility patent. My question is in the end I may file more than one patent do I need to final two provisional patent applications one for design and utility or is one enough to cover both at this time?

Answer
A provisional application for patent is only relevant to the utility patent process.

It is not applicable for utility patents.

For design patents, the grace period is six months, not one year as is the case for utility patents.

Also, in March 2013, we changed from a first to invent to a first inventor to file country.

So, get your provisional filed promptly. File early & if necessary, often!

Best wishes and highest regards for your project.

George H. Morgan
www.morganandassociates.net

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent