Copyright & Patents/Provisional Patent Application

I am designing a new product and looking to file a provisional patent application. I think my product in the end will require both a design and utility patent. My question is in the end I may file more than one patent do I need to final two provisional patent applications one for design and utility or is one enough to cover both at this time?

A provisional application for patent is only relevant to the utility patent process.

It is not applicable for utility patents.

For design patents, the grace period is six months, not one year as is the case for utility patents.

Also, in March 2013, we changed from a first to invent to a first inventor to file country.

So, get your provisional filed promptly. File early & if necessary, often!

Best wishes and highest regards for your project.

George H. Morgan

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent

U.S. Patent Law only, no copyright or trademark qualification. I was a volunteer in the past, but my homeland defense activities pulled me away at times, and I was dropped. If you want me back, I am willing to come back.

Thirty one years as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent and a lifetime in product and manufacturing process and methods development as well as sales and marketing of new products with a number of blue chip corporations.

Rotary, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Army Aviation Association, Registered Professional Engineer, St. Vincent De Paul Society, Indiana Guard Reserve Officer

Various Society of Manufacturing Engineers & Society of Automotive Engineers technical publications. Ref. my web site:

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Machine Design Option), L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana; M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics Option), University of Missouri at Rolla, Missouri, Helicopter Maintenance Course, 18 weeks, Ft. Sill Army Aviation School, Troop Information and Education Leadership Course, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, Numerous Society of Automotive Engineers Seminars, Dale Carnegie Management Training Instructors Course.

Bausch & Lomb Science Award, Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon, 2003.