Copyright & Patents/Patent Question

I've thought of a simple invention. I began writing the patent but I only have a little bit more than one page and one drawing. Do you think this is enough for a provisional patent? Do provisional patents get reviewed? If they do and my patent is rejected for any reason, would I have to pay an additional fee to correct my patent?

You get the priority date on what you disclose. It is an informal document. It is not an examined document. It is filed and forgotten until you refer to it in your formal application, which is due within 12 months of the formal.

At that time, you can throw in any additions or improvements, usually.

I hope that helps

George H. Morgan
Patent Agent  

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent

U.S. Patent Law only, no copyright or trademark qualification. I was a volunteer in the past, but my homeland defense activities pulled me away at times, and I was dropped. If you want me back, I am willing to come back.

Thirty one years as a Registered U.S. Patent Agent and a lifetime in product and manufacturing process and methods development as well as sales and marketing of new products with a number of blue chip corporations.

Rotary, Society of Automotive Engineers, American Army Aviation Association, Registered Professional Engineer, St. Vincent De Paul Society, Indiana Guard Reserve Officer

Various Society of Manufacturing Engineers & Society of Automotive Engineers technical publications. Ref. my web site:

B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Machine Design Option), L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana; M.S. in Mechanical Engineering (Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics Option), University of Missouri at Rolla, Missouri, Helicopter Maintenance Course, 18 weeks, Ft. Sill Army Aviation School, Troop Information and Education Leadership Course, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, Numerous Society of Automotive Engineers Seminars, Dale Carnegie Management Training Instructors Course.

Bausch & Lomb Science Award, Indiana Homeland Defense Service Ribbon, 2003.