Copyright & Patents/molds ready

Question
Hi George! I've developed the molds for my product. I'm not sure which direction to go next.

Do I contact a manufacturer and have them make my prototype, or get the patent and trademarks sured up first?

Just need a little guidance on which direction to go.

Thanks for your help :-)

Answer
I would suggest:
1. A confidentiality agreement with the fabricator.
2. Also,ASAP, get your provisional application for patent filed. Nolo Press has self help books on that, or a registered Patent Agent, such as I, can help on that. (email: patagent@att.net ).
3. Stay away from invention marketing companies. We are a first to file country, since March 2013, as opposed to a first to invent country. Getting that provisional filed establishes your date. It is premature to go for the formal filing until some time (within a year) of the provisional. As you try to market your invention, you will get feedback that will influence your formal application preparation. All too often, in the days before the provisional application option, a client would file his formal, then want to add valuable features, which would have meant another formal filing. Beware of any practitioner who recommends filing the formal instead of the provisional first.
4. Hold off on the trade mark until you get going. If you sell or license your invention, your licensee or buyer may want to have his own trademark. Keep in mind, a Trademark is established by usage, and the purpose is to protect the consumer, not the inventor.

I hope that helps. Best wishes on your project.
My website, http://www.morganandassociates.net, has helpful information for inventors, creative people, and parents afflicted with creative children. The additional pages, such as my book review page, are accessed by scrolling down to the bottom of the first page.

George H. Morgan
Patent Agent  

Copyright & Patents

George H. Morgan, P.E., Patent Agent