Costa Rica/dengue, hospitals, citizenship

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson wrote at 2013-04-30 06:45:10
Hello ¨Mom¨

I do specialize in Immigration, Business and Real Estate Law.

Most of my clients are expats.

To answer more precisely your questions, dengue fever is not very common but there have been a few cases in recent years.

When you plan to apply for residency you will automatically now need to join the Caja (Social Security system)also known as ¨CCSS¨. If you use private hospitals they are very good and a fraction of what they would cost in the USA or Canada, the most well known ones are Clinica Biblica and CIMA hospital, there are many others, the hospital in Limon is ok but not as good as the private ones or the ones in San José.

the average price for a birth in a private hospital depends if you will need a cesarean section or not but you can plan on spending about $2,000 - $3,000 sometimes less depending on the doctor and/or referral.

Residency normally takes a year and sometimes can drag along for longer but as long as you have begun residency and your documents are turned in, you will be legal in the country.

Citizenship is usually applied for after having residency for several years.

Each person will have a seperate file at immigration although just one of you will have to qualify, the other will qualify as dependants.

residency is renewed each year, then every two years and so on, you do not need to live here all year long.

Citizenship is not renewed and you may have dual citizenship like I have, USA/CR.

Some people do consider Costa Rica paradise, a few others are not happy no matter where they live on this planet, you will find out that the few people who say they are not happy here are usually the ones who won´t leave no matter what.

I have lived here for 20 + years and feel very at home.

You probably are already in Costa Rica.

You can contact me here or at Costarica living or at my yahoo address which is attorneykearney .

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.:  

Costa Rica

Beatrice Blake

I can recommend the best places to visit with children in Costa Rica, based on their ages and the family`s interests and budget. My two children were born in Costa Rica and I have traveled with them all over the country while doing research for my guidebook, The New Key to Costa Rica. I also help people (with or without children) pick the best and most responsible ecotourism destinations and can advise them on the best ways to get around within the time they have.

Past/Present clients
People who are planning trips to Costa Rica and want to get the most out of their vacation.