Costa Rica/Marriage in costa rica


QUESTION: Hi ms Luna.     Is there anyway I can hire u to help us get our marriage license?? I'm an American trying to marry a phillipina.   I can give u more info if I hear from u. Ok.  Thank u

ANSWER: Hi Erick,

Are you going to marry this girl in Costa Rica?  

If yes, then I can give you some information.

All the best,

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: yes we are living in kuwait, planning to marry in costa rica...heard costra rica would be easiest for us....

Hi Erick,

Here are the requirements for Americans to get married in Costa Rica (from the American Embassy website):

What documents do I need to get married in Costa Rica?

Costa Rican law permits U.S. citizens to get married here.  A lawyer can perform the required legal ceremony (see our list of attorneys).  You will need the following documents:

   A valid passport;
   A certified copy of your birth certificate;

If you have been married before:

   A certified copy of the divorce decree or
   A certified copy of your previous spouse's death certificate;

If you have not been married before, you must come to the Embassy's Consular Section and make a sworn statement to that effect before a consular officer (there is a $50 fee for this service).

My guess is that the requirements would be the same for a philipina, but it would be wise to check with the Embassy of the Philipines in the U.S. and with the U.S. Embassy in the Philipines, because "Marriage to a U.S. citizen does not automatically grant U.S. residence or citizenship to the Filipino spouse."

"He or she must be petitioned by the American spouse and apply for a visa to enter the United States. The Filipino spouse may enter the United States on a K-3 nonimmigrant visa, CR1 immigrant visa or IR1 immigrant visa. These three spouse based petitions are issued to qualified beneficiaries of American citizens only. Individuals who are petitioned for by lawful permanent residents do not qualify for a K-3, CR or IR visa."

Also, keep in mind that "In the United States, laws regarding marriage vary from state to state. Please contact the County Clerk's office in the county in which you plan to reside in or in which you are a residentwith any questions regarding recognition of your Costa Rican marriage documents in the United States."

I hope this information helps.  I wish you and your fiancée the best.


Costa Rica

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Luna Nueva


I am a Costa Rican and I lived in Costa Rica up until eight years ago, when I moved to the United States. I can answer general questions about Costa Rica, like "is it O.K. to drink tap water?" "do I need special vaccinations?", "what kind of transportation is available to go to the beach?", "what if I lose my passport?", "where can I go shopping?", "where is the American Embassy located", etc. Sorry, I cannot answer questions about surfing. I can answer questions in English, Spanish and French.


I used to have a website about Costa Rica and I have volunteered with allexperts for several years.

B.A. in General Studies
Professional Translator

©2017 All rights reserved.