Costa Rica/how to change last name

I am from the US and was married to a Costa Rican, so I did not change my maiden name when we married. We had a son while we were married. So, our son's last names the Costa Rican double last name, the paternal name followed by the maternal maiden name.

We divorced. So, my name never changed. Son's name is still the same.

Now it's years later, and I am going to marry a man from the US and would like to take his last name (lose my maiden name).

Is there a way, in Costa Rica, to change my son's last name replace the his second last name (my maiden name) with my new last name.

That way my son's last names would still follow the rule of:
father's last name followed by mother's (new) last name.

If this is legally possible, what is the first step to take? Is it relatively simple to do or really complicated.

What do I need to do to make sure my son's passport and visa to travel in and out of the country are the way they are supposed to be?

Thank you for any guidance you might offer.

Only a mothers maiden name is used as the childs second surname in Costa Rica.
Married surnames cannot be replaced with a mothers married or stepfathers surname.
An option might be to use it as a middle name.

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.:

Costa Rica

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.

American/Costarrican Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker, We specialize in relocation and expat services related to Costa Rica, Residency, Immigration proceedures,Real Estate sales, International Law, Business Law, Corporations, Family Law, Wedding planning, private investigations and genealogical research, Notarial services, tax shelters, Civil and Criminal Law, serving of court documents. We can also advise on several other aspects related to Costa Rica, such as Tourism, everyday living, culture, etc.

20 years experience with clients from over 75 countries, Presidential candidate for of the Costarrican Barr Association 1999 Presently running for Congress at the Costarrican Legislative Assembly 2014-2018

Past member Masonic Lodge Past President Lions Club Past President Community developement association Past Delegate of the Supreme Tribunal of Elections

La Republica Newspaper, Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, La Prensa Libre, La Nación, Daily Extra, Gamma Liason news agency, SIPA Press, SYGMA News agency, Channel 6,7,11,13,19,42 TV, National USA TV, many radio programs.

Autonomous University of Central America Univerisity of Costa Rica Glendale College Lumbleau Real Estate School University of San Judas Tadeo

Numerous certificates and distinctions from the Barr Association, the Journalists association,the Medical association, the Supreme Court,the Judicial Power (OIJ) Eagle scout badge with three palms