Costa Rica/Married in costa rica, never filed with the states is my marriage legal

Question
Back in April of 2006 we got married in costa rica.  It took about 4 months to get our papers back, and now my husband said he was told that we were supposed to file the papers with our local clerk of court here in Florida in order to make it legal and that the states will not acknowledge that we are married because we never filed the papers with them.  My question is 2 part, is the information he was given correct? and if so was there a time frame in which this needed to be done or can we still file the papers 7 years later?
Any information would be so helpful.
Thank you!

Answer
Your marriage is legal anywhere in the world, however to be acknowledged in the USA you will need to file your marriage there also.
There is know time frame and can be done at any moment.
I can obtain and  send you a marriage certificate if you want to get started.
You can write to me at attorneykearney@yahoo.com

Costa Rica

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.