Costa Rica/Married in costa rica, never filed with the states is my marriage legal

Back in April of 2006 we got married in costa rica.  It took about 4 months to get our papers back, and now my husband said he was told that we were supposed to file the papers with our local clerk of court here in Florida in order to make it legal and that the states will not acknowledge that we are married because we never filed the papers with them.  My question is 2 part, is the information he was given correct? and if so was there a time frame in which this needed to be done or can we still file the papers 7 years later?
Any information would be so helpful.
Thank you!

Your marriage is legal anywhere in the world, however to be acknowledged in the USA you will need to file your marriage there also.
There is know time frame and can be done at any moment.
I can obtain and  send you a marriage certificate if you want to get started.
You can write to me at

Costa Rica

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.

American/Costarrican Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker, We specialize in relocation and expat services related to Costa Rica, Residency, Immigration proceedures,Real Estate sales, International Law, Business Law, Corporations, Family Law, Wedding planning, private investigations and genealogical research, Notarial services, tax shelters, Civil and Criminal Law, serving of court documents. We can also advise on several other aspects related to Costa Rica, such as Tourism, everyday living, culture, etc.

20 years experience with clients from over 75 countries, Presidential candidate for of the Costarrican Barr Association 1999 Presently running for Congress at the Costarrican Legislative Assembly 2014-2018

Past member Masonic Lodge Past President Lions Club Past President Community developement association Past Delegate of the Supreme Tribunal of Elections

La Republica Newspaper, Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, La Prensa Libre, La Nación, Daily Extra, Gamma Liason news agency, SIPA Press, SYGMA News agency, Channel 6,7,11,13,19,42 TV, National USA TV, many radio programs.

Autonomous University of Central America Univerisity of Costa Rica Glendale College Lumbleau Real Estate School University of San Judas Tadeo

Numerous certificates and distinctions from the Barr Association, the Journalists association,the Medical association, the Supreme Court,the Judicial Power (OIJ) Eagle scout badge with three palms