Costa Rica/podiatry license


QUESTION: I am a florida podiatrist. Unfortunately, my life became complicated several years ago after becoming addicted to pain medication. I am now in recovery, and my license suspension was stayed, the DOH has allowed me to return to work under guideline contract, and I have a physician recovery monitoring 5 year contract through the state of Florida to allow practice. I am fulfilling all requirements as such. I will complete probation for obtaining controlled substance by prescription in little over a year, and charges can be sealed with nolo contend adjudication withhold status. I know, not pretty, but I want to start over in life is my goal. So, my question is, once the records are sealed, is it feasible for me acquire Costa Rican residence, and subsequent podiatry work in the future? Also, does my license need to be active to transfer, or is the medical degree sufficient, since if don't complete my 5 year monitor contract, this will effect my Florida license.

ANSWER: If you can obtain a certified letter stating that you have not been convicted of a major crime, you can obtain residency.
You will also need a letter from the medical association that you are licensed and can practice or else you would probably have to do some other requirements with just the diploma, but it can also be done.
I can find out more details for you when you decide to start the residency process in Costa Rica, which I usually do for clients.
The residency process has to be filed before the medical license is applied for.

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thankyou for the response, those steps will be possible to acquire. I am also unsure if I able to practice with  podiatry lisc, not medical md/do degree. Would able to practice under an md at a clinic if the dpm/  podiatry degree is not recognized by the country?

You will be authorized to practice according to the degrees that you have, wheather a clinic or hospital.
I will have to double check the specific case.
You will need to have a medical degree to practice as an MD.
Here they will authorize the equivalent degree or license in Costa Rica .  

Costa Rica

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.


American/Costarrican Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker, We specialize in relocation and expat services related to Costa Rica, Residency, Immigration proceedures,Real Estate sales, International Law, Business Law, Corporations, Family Law, Wedding planning, private investigations and genealogical research, Notarial services, tax shelters, Civil and Criminal Law, serving of court documents. We can also advise on several other aspects related to Costa Rica, such as Tourism, everyday living, culture, etc.


20 years experience with clients from over 75 countries, Presidential candidate for of the Costarrican Barr Association 1999 Presently running for Congress at the Costarrican Legislative Assembly 2014-2018

Past member Masonic Lodge Past President Lions Club Past President Community developement association Past Delegate of the Supreme Tribunal of Elections

La Republica Newspaper, Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, La Prensa Libre, La Nación, Daily Extra, Gamma Liason news agency, SIPA Press, SYGMA News agency, Channel 6,7,11,13,19,42 TV, National USA TV, many radio programs.

Autonomous University of Central America Univerisity of Costa Rica Glendale College Lumbleau Real Estate School University of San Judas Tadeo

Awards and Honors
Numerous certificates and distinctions from the Barr Association, the Journalists association,the Medical association, the Supreme Court,the Judicial Power (OIJ) Eagle scout badge with three palms

©2017 All rights reserved.